Matthew R. Romano, CPA, MST
Matt is a tax partner with BBD's Investment Management Group.
Matt maintains significant expertise with the issues and trends related to investment company taxation and has extensive experience with the following:
- Policies and procedures with respect to the use of tax equalization
- Tax issues resulting from ownership changes, mergers and liquidations
- Application of the use of derivatives in managing capital gains distributions
- Tax issues arising from investments in Notional Principal Contracts and other types of swaps contracts
- Determining optimal year-ends, distribution policies, fund elections, and other fund-specific tax matters
- Documenting and evaluating tax positions
- Primary and secondary fund tax reporting
- Compliance with the RIC Modernization Act of 2010 and subsequent technical corrections
Matt's deep knowledge and experience provide tremendous value to our clients as they navigate an increasingly complex tax landscape.
Prior to joining BBD, Matt was the Vice President of Tax for Regulated Financial Products with BlackRock.
At BlackRock, Matt oversaw all tax requirements for the BlackRock retail mutual funds, iShares ETFs, and other proprietary funds. He also served as BlackRock's liaison to the Investment Company Institute's Tax Committee.
Prior to joining BlackRock, Matt served in investment management tax roles with two national accounting firms.
- Northeastern University- Bachelor of Business Administration, accounting
- Northeastern University- Master of Science, taxation
- Investment Company Institute Tax Advisory Committee
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants