BBD Welcomes Matt Romano, CPA, MST To the firm's Investment Management Group
Posted by admin on Jun 20, 2017 3:00:00 PM
BBD is pleased to announce the addition of Matt Romano to the firm's growing Investment Management Group. Matt has dedicated his 10-year career in the investment management industry to the tax needs of investment companies. He joins BBD as a Tax Director.
Prior to joining BBD, Matt was the Vice President of Tax for Regulated Financial Products with BlackRock.
At BlackRock, Matt oversaw all tax requirements for the BlackRock retail mutual funds, iShares ETFs, and other proprietary funds. He also served as BlackRock's liaison to the Investment Company Institute's Tax Committee.
Included in Matt's extensive expertise related to investment company taxation are the following issues:
- Policies and procedures with respect to the use of tax equalization
- Tax issues resulting from ownership changes, mergers and liquidations
- Application of the use of derivatives in managing capital gains distributions
- Tax issues arising from investments in Notional Principal Contracts and other types of swaps contracts
- Determining optimal year-ends, distribution policy, fund elections, and other fund-specific tax matters
- Documenting and evaluating tax positions
- Primary and secondary fund tax reporting
- Compliance with the RIC Modernization Act of 2010 and subsequent technical corrections
Prior to joining BlackRock, Matt served in investment management tax roles with two national accounting firms.
Because of Matt's extensive experience with the tax issues related to registered investment companies, he offers unique perspective on the tax challenges facing BBD's mutual fund and ETF clients. Matt's insight will add significant value to the tax services offered to BBD's clients as well as to the BBD experience.
Click here to connect with Matt and to view his full biography.
BBD's Investment Management Group provides audit and tax services for registered and unregistered investment companies, investment advisors and securities broker/dealers. Our affiliate, BBD Cayman, provides audit services for offshore hedge funds based in the Cayman Islands. For more information, please visit bbdcpa.com/investment-management.